Introduction to the course
Housekeeping (5 min)
Warmup & review (10 min)
Missions (20-25 min)
Wrap-up/homework (5 min)
Navigating the website (Where to find…?)
Mission 1: Science SMART!!!
Mission Objectives: You should be able to...
1. Generate at least five lab safety rules.
2. Develop a reasonable method for doing science.
3. Distinguish between research questions, hypotheses and variables.
4. Differentiate between accuracy and precision.
5. Perform calculations using sig figs and scientific notation.
More on the research process
Accuracy & Precision
Sig Figs & Scientific Notation
Mission Objectives. You should be able to...
1. Generate a hypothesis.
2. Identify the variables.
3. Write a research question.
Write a hypothesis for the following statements. Identify the independent and dependent variables.
a. What effect does studying with music have on test scores?
b. What effect does light have on plant growth?
Write a research question for the following. Identify the independent and dependent variables.
c. If plants are watered, then growth will increase.
d. If chocolate is given to teachers, then the amount of assigned homework will decrease.